Dieter Rams' 10 "Good Design" Principles
Dieter Rams is one of the greatest designers of our times.
Dieter Rams is a German industrial designer and academic associated with the consumer products company Braun, the furniture company Vitsœ, and the functionalist school of industrial design. His unobtrusive approach and belief in “Less, but better” design generated a timeless quality in his products and have influenced the design of many products.
Dieter Rams’ 10 “Good Design” principles;
- is innovative.
- makes a product useful.
- is aesthetic.
- makes a product understandable.
- is unobtrusive.
- is honest.
- is long-lasting.
- is thorough down to the last detail.
- is environmentally-friendly.
- is as little design as possible.
10 principles for design that could save the world
- has a reason to exist.
- is inclusive.
- is built on honesty.
- is thorough through to end-of-life.
- is designed for appropriate lifespan.
- is intuitive.
- is user and planet-centred.
- encourages positive behaviour change.
- is beautiful.
- is considered down to the last detail.